Mamelodi Sundowns thrashed Otoho d’ Oyo of the Congo 4-0 in a Caf Champions League preliminary round, second-leg match at the Lucas Moripe Stadium in Atteridgeville, Pretoria on Saturday evening.

Having gone down 2-1 to the Congolese club in Owando a fortnight ago, Sundowns scored four first half goals to book their place in the next round of the continent’s premier club competition.

Pitso and Sundowns Caf Champions League dream lives

The hosts made their intentions clear early on with Tebogo Langerman’s effort striking the Otoho upright in the opening minutes.

Lebohang Maboe of Mamelodi Sundowns challenges Csair Gandze of AS Otoho during the CAF Champions League match between Mamelodi Sundowns and AS Otoho Doyo on the 24 August 2019 at Lucas Moripe, Pretoria Pic Sydney Mahlangu/ BackpagePix

However, Sundowns did not have to wait long for the opening goal, as they were awarded a penalty in the 13th minute after Lebohang Maboe was fouled in the penalty area. Uruguayan Gaston Sirono converted from the spot.

The home team doubled their lead in the 25th minute when Sifiso Vilakazi found the back of the Oyo net after being set up by Sibusiso Vilakazi.

Sirino grabbed his second goal of the night in the 34th minute, when he scored with a curling effort to make the score 3-0 in favour of the hosts.

Themba Zwane added the fourth goal four minutes later when he scored from close range after some good build up work from Vilakazi.

Sirino might have had his hat-trick late on but hit the woodwork with what proved to be his last kick of the game as Emiliano Tade was brought on to replace him.

Otoho pressed for a consolation goal but would make little impression on a resolute Sundowns team determined to close out the contest. 

Sundowns will shift their attention to the SA Premiership, as they prepare to take on Bloemfontein Celtic in the Free State capital on Wednesday.  African News Agency (ANA), Editing by Michael Sherman

Pirates bow out

Orlando Pirates bowed out of the CAF Champions League competition as they were held to a 1-1 draw with Green Eagles of Zambia in a preliminary round, second-leg match at the Orlando Stadium, in Soweto, on Saturday evening.

Pirates went down 1-0 to Eagles in the first-leg encounter in Zambia two weeks ago.

Going into the game, Pirates had not scored in 372 minutes of football, with their last strike having been Gabadinho Mhango’s effort in a 3-1 league win over Bloemfontein Celtic on August 3.

However, defender Happy Jele ended the goal-drought in heading home from close range in the 59th minute. 

Pirates had hardly ended their celebrations when Eagles midfielder Amity Shamende fired home the equaliser a minute later, with a powerful shot into the bottom corner of the home team’s net.

This left Pirates with the task of scoring twice to remain in Africa’s premier club competition.

Pirates had the better of the opportunities in the first half with Mhango and Justin Shonga forcing Eagles goalkeeper Sebastian Mwange to pull off saves.

At the other end of the park, Pirates No 1 Wayne Sandilands had a quiet first half as Eagles spent most of the opening 45 minutes on defence.

Pirates will now focus on their next assignment, which is a home league encounter against Golden Arrows on Wednesday. – African News Agency (ANA), Editing by Michael Sherman Protection Status