The Premier League transfer window has closed, but the rest of Europe remains open for business until Monday. Plus, it’s never too late to look forward to January! Click here to view the latest transfers and keep up to date with the newest gossip below.
All the major completed transfers | European transfer review
TOP STORY: Mandzukic headed for MLS?
Juventus forward Mario Mandzukic is edging closer to a potential move to join LAFC in Major League Soccer, Calciomercato reports.
The Croatian veteran has been heavily linked with a move away from the Italian champions — including a return to Bayern Munich — but a deal never seemed to come together. In recent days, there has been talk of interest from Qatar, but now, a move to the U.S. seems equally possible.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Gonzalo Higuain have taken priority over Mandzukic in the early stages of the Serie A season, and at this point, it seems like just a matter of time before he takes the next step in his career.
It’s worth noting that Mandzukic would not be able to play for a club in MLS until 2020, as the league has already frozen its rosters for the remainder of the 2019 regular season and playoffs.
AC Milan considered Balde move
Here’s another from Calciomercato, which reports that AC Milan considered the possibility of pursuing Keita Balde during the summer transfer window.
The Senegal international is well aware of the prestige associated with playing at the San Siro, courtesy of his loan spell at Milan’s bitter rivals Inter last season. In terms of this deal, though, Keita’s parent club, Monaco, were more than happy to sell provided the correct terms were agreed upon.
– Champions League group stage: All you need to know
– Europa League group stage: All you need to know
– ESPN Premier League fantasy: Sign up now!
The 24-year-old has bounced back and forth between a series of top leagues in European football, but for the time being, he’ll be remaining in the Principality with a return to the deal a definite possibility in January.
De Gea may have signed new United contract
The Daily Record is reporting that Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea has signed a new deal with the club.
After weeks and weeks of speculation over the Spaniard’s next move, the report indicates that the improved contract is worth at least €15 million a year. The two parties were said to be going back and forth over the specific details involved in the deal, as United attempted to tie one of their most recognisable names down for the foreseeable future.
There is believed to be an option for a fifth year featured in the contract, and if it turns out to be true, then this will finally put an end to the worry that De Gea would’ve wound up leaving on a free.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on Friday said he was confident a deal would be done, and this Record report indicates he may have had a little inside information.
– Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti is interested in bringing Josip Ilicic to the club, Calciomercato reports. The Atalanta star has been making some noise ever since joining the club back in 2017, and especially since helping to fire them into the Champions League. The idea was shelved in favour of a move for James Rodriguez, but it appears as if they’re starting to revisit the idea.
– As reported by the Evening Standard, Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson has opened up on how he holds a certain amount of jealousy towards other managers in regards to the transfer window. “A lot of teams who claim they don’t spend much money, actually do,” he said. “Every year, I had to read that poor Rafa Benitez and Newcastle don’t spend any money.”